Dalkeith is a town of around 10,000 inhabitants seven miles south of Edinburgh, Scotland.
Our recorded history dates from 1142 - but the town, which is situated on a ridge between two rivers, is believed to be much older. Iron Age remains have been found nearby, and an extensive Roman Camp was discovered about one mile from the present town centre. In the Middle Ages, Dalkeith saw many witch trials and witch burnings, and Dalkeith Castle (now Dalkeith Palace) was the seat of the Regent Morton who ruled Scotland on behalf of James VI. In 1650, Cromwell's army occupied Dalkeith, and Cromwell's Commander and Governor in Scotland, General Monk, made Dalkeith Palace his headquarters.
In more recent times, Dalkeith was the centre of a thriving agricultural and coal mining area, and in the 19th Century Dalkeith was the most important grain market in Scotland. Sadly, whilst we are still surrounded by farmlands, the coal mines all disappeared in the second half of the 20th Century. Dalkeith is now the administrative centre of the County of Midlothian.
Dalkeith History Society's objectives are to encourage an interest in the history of our town, through talks, exhibitions etc., and to carry out research into Dalkeith's past
Our monthly meetings are open to all, members or non-members, though we do ask for a small voluntary donation from non-members
DALKEITH HISTORY SOCIETY